[ic] Re: Conditional IE CSS and IC - HowTo

Toni Mueller support-ic at oeko.net
Wed Jan 17 08:34:23 EST 2007

Hi,

on Thu Jun 15 20:55:03 EDT 2006, Paul Jordan <paul at gishnetwork.com> wrote:
> If you want to use conditional Internet Explorer statements in
> Interchange.
>
> In catalog.cfg:
>
> 	Pragma no_html_comment_embed 1
>
> Then in your page you can do:
>
> [strip reparse=0]
> <!--[if IE]>
> 	for_ie {
>     		position: relative;
>     		top: -2px;
> 	}
> <![endif]-->
> [/strip]
>

> [if IE] is not valid outside the html document structure, so you *have*
> to include it in your <head> or some such. Why the Pragma and [strip
> reparse=0] is necessary I am not too sure, but breaks without it.

I'm just facing that same problem with 5.4.1. First, thanks for your
idea - I don't really know what the Pragma does, but  the [strip]
apparently tries to protect the contained HTML comment because
otherwise, IC happily goes to interpret the [if IE] part as part of its
own [if] tag processing. FWIW, I pull in an extra style sheet that
is meant to correct for those pesky IE bugs, via a <link> statement.

Unfortunately, it doesn't, or at least not always. I have a web site
(in development) which has a few components like "LEFTRIGHT_TOP" or
"NOLEFT_TOP". Now, using the code above, I get quite mixed results. In
some components, this works fine. In one component, however (which
doesn't look too much different from the others), Interchange refuses
to even deliver the page. Ie, if I insert the code into the component,
Interchange delives affected pages with a size of 0 bytes, but doesn't
log any errors anywhere. Apache yields a 200 status code. I have
debugging already on...

How do I discover (and fix?) this kind of a problem?

TIA!

Best,
--Toni++