[ic] mv_no_session idea (best of both worlds)

Kevin Walsh kevin at cursor.biz
Wed Jul 11 14:50:12 EDT 2007

Grant <emailgrant at gmail.com> wrote:
> How about setting in catalog.cfg:
>
> ScratchDefault mv_no_session 1
> ScratchDefault mv_no_session_id 1
>
> and at the very end of BOTTOM_TEMPLATE:
>
> [tmpn name="mv_no_session"][/tmpn]
>
> That would mean ?id= is never appended to the URL if the browser
> accepts cookies, not even on the first page.  Also, browsers which
> don't accept cookies don't seem to have ?id= appended to the URL until
> they add something to the cart.
>
> The only downside I can think of is a new session is created for every
> access from a browser that doesn't accept cookie, until they add
> something to their cart.  From a marketing perspective though, it's
> much better.

As you said, a new session would be created with every request.  If
you do that then there's no point in maintaining a session at all.

Remember that Interchange is an application server - not just a cart.
I have applications that are not ecommerce-orientated in any way.
Even ecommerce applications often want to store scratchpad values (etc.)
in the session, and have those values carry forward to subsequent pages.

If the above works for you, and you can live with the extra load on
your server, then that's fine.  I wouldn't recommend its inclusion in
the distributed ecommerce demo application, however, as it'd throw
up too many "gotchas" and would increase the disk and CPU load
unnecessarily.

My advice would be to use "ScratchDefault mv_no_session_id 1" and to
forget all about the "mv_no_session" scratchpad variable.

 _/ _/    _/          _/ _/     _/    _/  _/_/    kevin at cursor.biz