[ic] Rewrite rules kill forms

Stefan Hornburg (Racke) racke at linuxia.de
Wed Jul 18 05:01:46 EDT 2007

Ton Verhagen wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I am playing a little with Rewrite rules in order to shorten the url's
> generated by IC.
>
> I am using the following (Apache) Rewrite rules:
>
>     RewriteEngine On
>     RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !^/*cgi-bin
>     RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !^/*standard
>     RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !^/*images
>     RewriteRule ^/*(.*)$ /cgi-bin/standard/$1 [R=301]
>

> The default Search box small component code (see below) generates
> the following Error message after implementing Rewrite rules:
> "Search strings must be at least 1 characters. You had no search string
> specified."
>
>  <form action="http://www.mydomain.com/search.html" method=post>
>     <INPUT TYPE=hidden NAME=mv_coordinate VALUE=1>
>     <INPUT TYPE=hidden NAME=mv_searchtype VALUE=db>
>     <INPUT TYPE=hidden NAME=mv_matchlimit VALUE=10>
>     <INPUT TYPE=hidden NAME=mv_sort_field VALUE=category>
>     <INPUT TYPE=hidden NAME=mv_search_field VALUE=":*">
>     <input type=hidden name=mv_min_string value=2>
>     <input type=hidden name=mv_substring_match value=1>
>     <INPUT TYPE=hidden NAME=mv_column_op VALUE="aq">
>  <INPUT MAXLENGTH=30 NAME=mv_searchspec type=text size=15>
>  <input type=submit>
> </form>
>

> Actually it seems that all other forms in the catalog stopped working
> as well...  They worked ok before implementing the above Rewrite
> rules though.
>
> I must be missing something obvious. Any thoughts?

You don't need complicate things with using Rewrite. Alias directives
are working just fine.

Alias /images/ /home/racke/linuxia/html/images/
Alias /css/ /home/racke/linuxia/html/css/
Alias /js/ /home/racke/linuxia/html/js/
Alias /interchange-5/ /var/www/interchange-5/
Alias /favicon.ico /home/racke/linuxia/html/favicon.ico
ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /home/linuxia/linuxia.de/cgi-bin/
ScriptAliasMatch ^/(.*)$ /home/linuxia/linuxia.de/cgi-bin/linuxia/$1

Regards
	Racke

Interchange Development Team