[ic] IPs that change with every access

Kevin Walsh kevin at cursor.biz
Fri Jun 22 19:23:33 EDT 2007

Grant <emailgrant at gmail.com> wrote:
> I was looking at [env HTTP_COOKIE] at it looks like my MV_SESSION_ID
> cookie is composed of my session ID and my IP address.  I've been
> studying my logs a lot lately, and there are a fair amount of accesses
> made by IP addresses that change with every access, usually just the
> end portion of the IP address.  Most of these accesses are clearly
> robots, but some of them are clearly not.  Is IC able to keep track of
> a user's session properly when their IP changes with each access?
Ordinary users should not change their IP address with every request.
Spiders might do this, but they should be recognised by the Robot*

Users who use a proxy cluster might present themselves from a different
IP address every now and again.  Similarly, Also, if a user's ISP has a
weird DHCP setup then it might give the user a new IP address, rather
than renew the existing lease, but you shouldn't see that very often
in a normal browsing session.

You can modify Interchange's IP qualification rules with the following

 _/ _/    _/          _/ _/     _/    _/  _/_/    kevin at cursor.biz