[ic] High traffic / High load IC

David Bordas bordas at testadaz.com
Sat Mar 10 03:21:37 EST 2007

Peter a écrit :
> [...]
>
> my client is upgrading to two new servers, one for the DB and one for IC
> itself, and we have the choice of the following:
>
> dual quad core XEON 2.33ghz
> or
> dual dual core XEON 3.00ghz
>
> So the question is, does IC run better with 8 lower speed (2.33) cores,
> or 4 higher speed (3.0) cores?  Anyone can testify that has experience
> with that?
>
> [...]
I don't know very well Postgresql, but i can say something about Intel
processors.
Be carefull on one thing, speed is not always linked to frequency.

Intel plateforme itself will have a big impact on performance too
(memory speed, northbridge and soutbridge performance...).
Other thing, i think that Xéon quad core is "Core 2 Duo" based (most
recent).
Dual core Xéon can be of differents modeles, wich modèles ? 5x00 ?

Exemple here :
http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=2866&p=10

A Core 2 duo at 2.4 Ghz is much better than an old pentium 4 at 3.73 Ghz !!
Xéon and Core / Pentium plateform are quite same thing, so you can have
an idea.

--

David Bordas / Testadaz.com