[ic] High traffic / High load IC

Peter peter at pajamian.dhs.org
Sat Mar 10 06:17:03 EST 2007

On 03/10/2007 12:21 AM, David Bordas wrote:
> I don't know very well Postgresql, but i can say something about Intel
> processors.
> Be carefull on one thing, speed is not always linked to frequency.
>
> Intel plateforme itself will have a big impact on performance too
> (memory speed, northbridge and soutbridge performance...).
> Other thing, i think that Xéon quad core is "Core 2 Duo" based (most
> recent).
> Dual core Xéon can be of differents modeles, wich modèles ? 5x00 ?

These are two otherwise identical systems, with the following specs:

Dual Dual Core (4 x 3.0ghz cores):
Superserver SUPERMICRO SUPERSERVER 6015B-8V (4xSCSI HD Max.) (SYS6443)
Processor DUAL INTEL XEON DC 5160 (3.0GHz/1333FSB/4MB) (CH1026x2)
Memory KINGSTON 8GB (8x1GB) DDR2 667MHz ECC FB-DIMM (CH965x8)
Hard Disk-1 HITACHI 2xHUS151473VL3800: 2 PIECES OF 73.4GB U320W 15000RPM
(HD185X2)

Dual Quad Core (8 x 2.33ghz cores):
Processor DUAL INTEL XEON QC E5345 (2.33GHz/13337FSB/8MB) CPU (CH1004x2)
Rest of stats are the same as above.

Basically these are identical servers, identical class of CPU, the only
difference is one is dual dual core 3.0ghz and the other is dual quad
core 2.33ghz.

So the question boils down to what does IC run better on, more cores but
slower speed, or fewer cores but faster speed, it's a matter of how well
IC scales to more cores.

Like I said, don't worry about postgresql, I have it on good authority
that it scales to more cores very well.

Peter