[ic] Idea for "Interchange server is unavailable"

Stefan Hornburg (Racke) racke at linuxia.de
Thu May 3 15:05:35 EDT 2007

Lars Tode wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> sometimes I had to shutdown the Interchange server (working at the
> database, server configuration ...).
> In normal case i write a message like "Dear customer, because of
> maintaince our shop is temporarly unavailable ...." and change the
> redirect in the httpd.conf to that index - file.
> The idea is now that you can configure that message. For example while
> you create the catalog, the user can enter which html file should be
> used as source for that message. If he enter a path to a html file, the
> message in the source are replaced with the content of that file.
>
> What did you think?

The problem with that approach is that users have to wait until the link script times out. So
for scheduled maintenance I would prefer the redirect.

On the other hand, the link script should be a bit more configurable. Not much to keep it as
quick as possible. But it would be great to assign a HTTP code to the case where the Interchange
server isn't available and use an error handler to display a customer-friendly message.

Regards
	Racke

Interchange Development Team