[ic] /special_pages/missing.html

Frank Reitzenstein frank at goldissue.com
Sun May 20 00:32:06 EDT 2007

Hello,

I am running Interchange 5.2 on Fedora Core 5

I have searched for posts regarding missing pages because I am coming to
the conclusion if the server doesn't return 404 for a page which is no
longer on the site, then the search engines go on indexing many more
pages than are visible on the site, for a very long time.

We are told that Google Page Rank gets distributed amongst our pages,
and hence in this case to pages which don't exist. The danger is with PR
being so much diluted, that the vast majority of pages end up in
"Supplemental Results".

My page /special_pages/missing/html now consists of only:

[tag op=header]Status: 404 missing[/tag]

and I am pleased that finally the search engines will record that the
missing pages no longer exist. It will also help me when I use the new
Google webmaster tool to remove pages. However at the moment the user
sees a blank page instead of a standard 404 message.
/
/I notice that a few people have discussed this, and some have found a
solution. I don't use /Mod::Interchange/ that I am aware. From memory
there used to be only a private version for Debian users.

I could spend hours trying to hack something. I am hoping that someone
has an easy answer ;)

Regards,

Frank Reitzenstein