[ic] Mailing List on Interchange

ic at 3edge.com ic at 3edge.com
Mon May 21 18:22:44 EDT 2007

Kathleen Lee writes:

> Hi,
>
>> We have a website that use interchange.  We are trying to send a mass
> email
>> to our customers.
>> When I click on the mailing list button on the customer link on our
>> interchange, I do not see the send button at the bottom of the page.  What
>> see at the bottom of the page are preview email button, download mail
> batch
>> button, and one message in parenthesis (too many matches to send
> directly).
>> I saw the demo of interchange user and it has the send button on mailing
>> list.
>> We use interchange 5.0.0. that was upgraded from old interchange.
>> How come I do not have the send button?  How do I create the send button?
> Is
>> it easy to create the send button?  Is there an easy way to send mass
> email
>> without using interchange? Please help.
>>
>> Thank you very much.
>
> in your interchange application root is a file:
> lib/UI/pages/admin/customer_mailing.html
>
> this page has an 'if' statement which checks the amount of people that would
> be receiving the mailing and if it's more than your setting of
> MAILING_MAX_DIRECT  (and if this is not set, more than 50) then it will show
> you the message "(too many matches to send directly)"
>
> If you are using the IC admin you can change the MAILING_MAX_DIRECT this
> way:
>  - login to admin
>  - click 'Administration' tab
>  - click 'Mailings'
>  - click 'MAILINGS_MAX_DIRECT'
>  - change the preference value
>  - click 'Ok'
>  - click 'Apply changes'
>
> that should do the trick .. And if the variable does not exist you will have
> to create it.
>
> I have never used the mailing functionality of IC, and if you haven't either
> I'd suggest you first do some tests instead of attempting a first mailing
> blast to thousands of people.
>
> CU,
>
> Gert------------------------------------------------------------------------
> -----Thanks Gert,I see that we just allowed up to 50, but the problem is we
> cannot change the setting becausewe don't have 'Mailings' in our
> 'Administration' tab.How do I create 'Mailings' in our 'Administration'
> tab.Is this 'Mailings' called a variable?  Is it easy to create the
> variable?  Can anybody create this variable including a person who does not
> know about programming?Thank You

the variable is 'MAILING_MAX_DIRECT', Mailings is for me an item under the
'Administration' tab.  Another way to change MAILING_MAX_DIRECT might be:
 - login to admin
 - click 'Tables' tab
 - click 'variable' (should be in the bottom of the page under 'Hidden Admin
Tables', but I suppose this depends on the rights you have with the account
that you use to access the admin)
 - type 'MAX' in the 'Limit with search' field on the right top
 - this should give you the 'MAILING_MAX_DIRECT' variable and you can change
it by clicking on it
 - if it does not show up then you can click the 'New Entry' tab and create
it yourself. You will need to click  'Apply Changes' to have the change take
effect.

Hope this helps.

CU,

Gert