[ic] Re: SessionExpire and cleaning up sessions

Grant emailgrant at gmail.com
Mon May 28 10:53:02 EDT 2007

> I use 'SessionExpire 2 days' in catalog.cfg, and the following is run
> nightly to clean up sessions:
>
> # find /pathto/catalog/tmp -type f -mmin +480 | xargs --no-run-if-empty rm
> # find /pathto/catalog/tmp -type d -empty -depth -mindepth 1 | xargs
> --no-run-if-empty rmdir
> # find /pathto/catalog/session -type f -mmin +480 | xargs --no-run-if-empty rm
> # find /pathto/catalog/session -type d -empty -depth -mindepth 1 |
> xargs --no-run-if-empty rmdir
>
> Do those entries clean up all sessions, active and inactive?  If so,
> is there a way to clean up sessions only after 2 days of inactivity?
>
> Should I put my sessions in a DBM or mysql database instead of in files?

Sorry to reply to myself, but I looked into the -mmin +480 parameter
and apparently the command won't clean up a session unless it has been
inactive for 8 hours.  I changed the parameters to -mmin +2940 so they
won't be cleaned up unless inactive for 49 hours.  That should give
SessionExpire a chance to kick in first at 48 hours.

Does that seem OK?  I'm still wondering about switching from files to
a real DB for sessions.

- Grant