[ic] Unable to send e-mail using sendmail error - SOLVED

Curt Hauge ic_support at mnwebdesign.com
Wed May 30 00:43:21 EDT 2007

> Curt Hauge writes:
>
> > Hi list,
> >
> > My "Lost Password" page is no longer sending the passwords on several
> > catalogs from the page lost_password.html. This has been happening since
> > moving to a new server that is using qmail. The error I am seeing in
> > CATROOT/logs/error.log is "Unable to send mail using /usr/lib/sendmail".
> > This is followed by the contents of the email that was supposed
> to be sent
> > to the user.
> >
> > In usr/lib I see a symlink: sendmail -> /var/qmail/bin/sendmail
> >
> > This sendmail file does exist in /var/qmail/bin with permission 755
> > root:qmail (and most other files here are same perms)
> >
> > All other SMTP functions work on this server, receipts are sent to
> > customers, etc.
> >
> > I have grepped for a mail setting in the interchange folder and
> the catalog
> > folder, and I have Google searched the icdevgroup.org site, but have not
> > found an answer. This is happening on IC 4.8.5 and 5.4.0.
> 'Construct' cats
> > on Fedora Core 4 with Apache 2.0.54.
> >
> > Maybe this is a Linux question. Perhaps I need a way to tell SMTP to use
> > qmail instead of sendmail, but I thought I would drop it by
> everyone here
> > and see if anyone has an idea.
> >
> > Thanks for any input you can offer.
> >
> > Curt Hauge
>
> If memory serves me right this is caused by a '-t' switch in the
> commandline
> that is not working for qmail ...
>
> Check  <icroot>/lib/Vend/Util.pm
> for the following:
> open(MVMAIL,"|$Vend::Cfg->{SendMailProgram} -t") or last SEND;
> and change it to:
> open(MVMAIL,"|$Vend::Cfg->{SendMailProgram} ") or last SEND;
>
> CU,
>
> Gert

Thank you for the advice, which I tried, but with further analysis I found the problem. I had ascii coded email addresses in variables.txt. They work fine for displaying email links, but Util.pm must read them as literal characters. If I had enclosed the actual copy of the email that gets dumped into the error file, instead of just telling you it was there, someone would have caught that sooner, as that is how I ultimately discovered the solution. After changing those entries to plain text email addresses, everything works wonderful once again.

Take care!

Curt Hauge