[ic] Problem with Installation

Norm Dressler norm at dressler.ca
Sat Nov 3 15:36:05 EST 2007

On Sat, 2007-11-03 at 12:49 -0700, Grant wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > Please bear with me, I'm new to Interchange.
> >
> > I've installed Interchange and a catalog called jnd.
> >
> > I can start Interchange.  But whenever I try to access it with a browser
> > it gives me a message:
> > We're sorry, the Interchange server is unavailable...
> > We are out of service or may be experiencing high system demand. Please
> > try again soon.
> >
> > I've turned on debugging in Interchange and nothing seems to be
> > happening.
> >
> > I look at the Apache logs and I don't see any errors and I see the
> > access in the access log.
> >
> > The jnd program is found in cgi-bin. I've tried to add another catelog
> > with makecat but same effect.
> >
> > I suspect there is breakdown in Apache talking to the Interchange daemon
> > but not sure where to look.
> >
> > If there is someplace else I can look for info, please let me know.
> >
> > I'm running on Arch Linux (source based), Apache 2.2.6, self-compiled
> > perl non-threaded.
>
> Have you looked in IC's error.log, both catalog-level and global?
> That would most likely be jnd/error.log and
> /usr/local/interchange/error.log.

Thanks for replying.  I did look in both error.log files and since I had
debug turned on, I looked in it.  I see absolutely no errors.  The debug
file shows a bunch of sql commands that were executed.

I'm confused -- don't understand why this isn't running.  I'm going to
install a virtual appliance with a fresh Mint (Ubuntu) install and see
if installing with the packages will be easier and successful.

Norm