[ic] Link.pm updates, please commit

Peter peter at pajamian.dhs.org
Wed Nov 14 18:07:52 EST 2007

On 11/14/2007 02:48 PM, Grant wrote:
>>> 3. technically faster than vlink/tlink
>>
>> Where do you get this from?
>
> It's from Mike Heins, the module's original author.  A quote from the
> in-module docs:
>
> "The Interchange link protocol has been implemented via an Apache
> mod_perl modules which saves us the (small) overhead of the execution
> of a CGI program."

Ahhh, right, very small.  There is no compile time to consider as the
module is compiled at build/install time and there is very little disk
cache memory after the first read from disk.

I also highly doubt you will see any significant difference in execution
of vlink vs Link.pm.

Advantages of vlink/tlink is that people have been using it since the
dawn of IC so there are few, if any bugs left in it.  Also you can use
ScriptAlias and ScriptAliasMatch directives to rewrite URLs without the
need for mod_rewrite and it's associated complexities.

Peter