[ic] interchange.pid

Brian Pribis brian.pribis at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 17:41:29 EST 2007

Everyone

> I haven't worked with Solaris for a number of years, as almost no one seems
> to use it for web servers anymore.
>
> The underlying problem is with Perl and how it interacts with locking.
> If using fcntl locking doesn't fix the problem -- as it did with later
> Solaris installations back in 1999 or 2000 -- then probably nothing
> is going to fix it.
>
> Note what you see if you search on google for "perl solaris lock".

Help me understand this because I think I am missing something.

If IC is already running, and I restart or stop it gets the PID and
can't seem to make the connection with the PID of the IC instance and so
complains (I have verified that the PID in the file is correct).

If IC is not already running, but the interchange.pid file exists, it
will also complain, but this is what it should do since there will be no
  IC running, hence no PID.

Once the second (third, forth, etc) instance of IC fires up it updates
the interchange.pid file and continues on its merry way without so much
as a complaint.

In other words, when I start interchange (not restart), it just plows
ahead and writes to the pid file.

Are you telling me that the file is not being locked by interchange and
so when it goes to shutdown it simply looks to see if it is locked and
complains without even looking in the file?

If this is the case then why not change it so that it looks for the pid
for the user and the interch command and then does the compare?  If its
there then it is running and should be killed, if it isn't there there
then IC isn't running, or is this missing the point?

Thanks everyone,
cbm