[ic] interchange.pid

Mike Heins mike at perusion.com
Sat Nov 17 10:23:32 EST 2007

Quoting Brian Pribis (brian.pribis at gmail.com):

> Mike,
>
> >"Looking in the file"? I don't know what you can do about it if you
> >do look, as you can't know whether that PID is running.
> >

> In Perl I could do a
>
> open(PS_F, "ps -o pid,user,comm -u interch_user|");
>
> loop over PS_F and
>

> ($pid, $user, $comm) = split;
>

> At least, that works on linux, I still have to see if it works on Sun.
>

> >Of course if you glue stuff together with shell commands, you can,

As you have shown above. Add to this the fact that ps(1) is about the
most notoriously unportable shell command there is....

> >but if you were going to do that then you just write a shell script
> >to perform the startup / shutdown.
> >

> Bingo!   Which sucks in a way as I would much rather find out why this
> is happening (although finding work arounds is enjoyable too).

We know why it is happening. But no one in the Perl community has come
up with a fix in 10 years.

> Since IC works great on Ubuntu and FreeBSD, I am going to assume that
> this is just a goofy Sun thing.

It is actually a System V thing, as you will find Irix has the same
troubles. BSD seems to work fine.

But definitely it is a Sun thing too, as they are not really well-
engaged with the free software community. They still insist (I assume,
they did it for 7 years at least) on distributing their very poor
UNIX toolset with a broken tar(1), and won't provide any gnu tools by
default on their systems.

--
Mike Heins

Being against torture ought to be sort of a bipartisan thing.
-- Karl Lehenbauer