[ic] Moving the admin interface to a different url

John1 list_subscriber at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Nov 18 07:36:12 EST 2007

On Saturday, November 17, 2007 6:54 PM John1 wrote:

> On Saturday, November 17, 2007 5:34 PM Jon Jensen wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 17 Nov 2007, John1 wrote:
>>> Would it not be a good idea to have a variable e.g. UI_URL that
>>> could be set to the location adim GUI?  For example:
>>>
>>> UI_URL    /adminqwerty
>>
>> There once was, but for years nobody used anything but "admin", so
>> gradually it became ingrained in many places and the option to change
>> was removed since it didn't really work anymore.
>>
> OK, that's a shame - I'm surprised nobody used.  Thanks for the info.

It occurs to me, I wonder if there is a way to do this through httpd.conf

i.e. block direct access to www.mydomain.com/admin
and in effect map www.mydomain.com/adminqwerty to www.mydomain.com/admin

i.e. No bounces or redirects - the browser client must actually access
www.mydomain.com/adminqwerty (with the conversion to /admin being done
server side by Apache withouth the browser having any knowledge).

Is this possible?