[ic] Spammers circumventing form checks

Tracy Nelson tracy at mainstreetmusic.com
Tue Oct 9 22:02:16 EDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-10-09 at 03:49 -0700, Grant wrote:
> I have a check set up in my email form that would prevent the spam I
> receive through there from being sent, but it doesn't seem to be
> preventing it.  I guess this means the spammers are posting directly
> to the server and not using the actual page.  Is there any way to
> prevent this from happening?

Having the same problem I wanted to try the Captcha method.  I was very
happy to find that a wonderful Captcha coretag is part of the 5.5
development release.  Having 5.4 I copied the tag code into a usertag,
made some appropriate changes (coretag vs. usertag), added the necessary
Perl modules, and was off and running in just a few hours.  We have had
no spam since I added that about a month ago!

Regards,
Tracy
OvalEye Web Solutions