[ic] Simultaneous page accesses

Jon Jensen jon at endpoint.com
Thu Oct 25 14:59:50 EDT 2007

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007, Grant wrote:

> I'm using PIDcheck 3600 to allow some admin stuff to run for up to an
> hour in the browser.  Am I asking for trouble with a setting like that
> or is it unlikely to cause a problem?

If you have any pages that can get into an infinite loop (or even just
very slow), you open yourself up to a denial of service problem on the
server if your PIDcheck is very long like that.

If it's working for you, though, and if you're careful about the code you
roll out to production, I'm not sure I'd worry about it too much. It just
depends on your risk tolerance, how beefy your server is, etc.

To be safe about it, you can run a separate Interchange daemon on a
different server for your admin stuff, and tune it to allow long requests,
while the customer-facing side can use shorter PIDcheck etc.

Jon

--
Jon Jensen
End Point Corporation