[ic] RPC mode not so reliable?

Ron Phipps ron at endpoint.com
Sat Oct 27 14:54:46 EDT 2007

Grant wrote:
> I've switched to RPC mode to prevent intermittent 500 errors in my
> catalog, but now when I browse my catalog there comes a time when the
> server will not respond.  Restarting IC always fixes it.  I'm on 5.2.
> Is an upgrade the preferred solution, or is that unlikely to make a
> difference?  I'm using the following settings:
>
> PreFork                 Yes
> StartServers            5
> MaxServers              0
> MaxRequestsPerChild     100
> HouseKeeping            2
> PIDcheck                120
>
> - Grant

Hello Grant,

I can't remember if I've offered this advice to you before or not, but have you tried running in high traffic mode, but setting MaxServers to 0 (this is the default in the latest ICs)?  Here are the settings we run for FrozenCPU:

Variable  TRAFFIC  high

ifdef TRAFFIC =~ /high/i
Message High traffic settings.
HouseKeeping 2
#MaxServers   10
MaxServers   0
PIDcheck     600
endif

Do the IC or Apache logs saying anything about what the cause of those intermittent 500 errors might be?  We've found that most versions of IC, running on the latest perl, to be stable.

Good luck,

--
Ron Phipps
End Point Corporation