[ic] Re: Negative Tax - bug?

Peter peter at pajamian.dhs.org
Tue Oct 30 20:54:23 EST 2007

On 10/30/2007 03:43 PM, Dan Bergan wrote:
> On 10/30/07, Mike Heins <mike at perusion.com> wrote:
>> Quoting Dan Bergan (danb at berganconsulting.com):

>>> I think this might be more of a question about sales tax law.  Should
>>> a ENTIRE_ORDER discount reduce the taxable amount?
>> Without doubt.
>>
>>> The only mention I have found when searching sales tax documents are
>>> coupons for individual items, and percent off of all items.  In the
>>> case of ENTIRE_ORDER the actual sale prices of the individual items do
>>> not change, so my client reports that number to their state as the
>>> taxable amount.  My client treats this type of discount like a gift
>>> certificate -- it is applied after the tax is calculated.
>> That is simply wrong. The user is over-paying taxes.
>
> in Ohio, that may not be the case:
> http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:sJHJL5Jp2KEJ:tax.ohio.gov/divisions/legal/documents/02ST_Opinion020004_TMZ.pdfl&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=6&gl=us
> (google cache of a tax commissioner judgment pdf...)
>

>>> Of course, this is just my client, in one state and in the US.
>>>
>>> Would it work to have a catalog variable to determine if an
>>> ENTIRE_ORDER discount should be applied pre-tax or post-tax?
>> It won't ever be applied post-tax on my watch.
>>
>> If the order total is reduced, the tax is reduced. A gift-certificate
>> is pre-purchased, and is paid for.
>>
> I haven't yet determined how Iowa (my client's state) applies their
> law.  But, Connecticut's formula makes a lot of sense:
> http://www.ct.gov/drs/cwp/view.asp?A=1529&Q=395904
>
> The ENTIRE_ORDER discount is split proportionally among each item,
> then each item's taxablility is determined to figure the total sales
> tax.  This would fix the problem of a negative tax being calculated
> for nontaxable items.  The consumer is neither overpaying nor
> underpaying taxes.

It would seem to make sense to me to allow this to be configurable, even
state-by-state (a column in the state table) so that IC will have the
ability to better adapt to different tax laws in different areas.

I would propose allowing the use of special subs that can be picked from
the state and/or country tables with a few defaults.  That would allow
customization for whatever weird taxation laws someone may come across
(that we don't anticipate).

Peter