[ic] Re: Re: Negative Tax - bug?

Mike Heins mike at perusion.com
Wed Oct 31 15:09:01 EST 2007

Quoting Carl Bailey (carl at carlbailey.net):
> Quoting Mike Heins:
> >Quoting Dan Bergan (danb at berganconsulting.com):

> >>in Ohio, that may not be the case:
> >>
> >>divisions/legal/documents/
> >>02ST_Opinion020004_TMZ.pdfl&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=6&gl=us
> >>(google cache of a tax commissioner judgment pdf...)
> >>

> >A bunch of baloney, in my opinion, and it is the opinion of one tax
> >commissioner. The "obtained by buying your product" is ridiculous, and
> >I strongly doubt that any court would find in support -- the
> >consideration
> >is not fungible.
> >
> >I am not surprised you had to get it from a cache, as it should have
> >been deleted. 8-)
> >
> >A discount is a discount; if the proprietor chooses to give a discount
> >specifically on a taxable item as the promotion, they certainly may.
> >
> >That all being said, it certainly illustrates why tax calculation
> >is so difficult.
> Difficult indeed.
> But taxability for an entire-cart discount transaction might not need
> to be so.  How about his pseudo-code ...
> if ($entire_cart_discount) {
>   $tax += $entire_cart_discount * ( $taxable_merchandise_value /
> $all_merchandise_value);
> }
> The above assumes discount is negative, and totals are positive for a
> "normal" sale, but I think this would work even for refunds assuming
> the signs of the totals and discounts change accordingly.

Nope. You have to do that yourself. There is no way that this is
the one right way, and things that have a chance of being a very standard
treatment are the only kind of thing that we will provide by default.

Mike Heins

One conclusion should be obvious: If nations such as Indonesia,
Bangladesh and Thailand can not make themselves inoffensive to Militant
Islamism there is no way that the United States could perform such a
feat, no matter which policies we changed or how much our public
diplomacy improved. -- Clifford May