[ic] learning

docelic docelic at deleuze.hcoop.net
Wed Sep 5 13:24:30 EDT 2007

On Wed, Sep 05, 2007 at 04:48:09PM +0000, hudsondarnell40 at comcast.net wrote:
> I am very interested in learning interchange. What is best way to learn how to
> build a complete store. Don't want to use the demo store. Also are you guys going to have
> better docs for this software. I would like to download in pdf format. Then are guys going to have
> better support for like support forms.

Hi Darnell,

To get the basic idea, you could try following the Catalog Bulding Tutorial,
http://www.icdevgroup.org/xmldocs/iccattut/

That will make you be able to understand various constructs seen
elsewhere.

After that you can play with introducing various changes to the newly-created
catalog, getting additional help from the reference pages which describe
specific items. (Follow links from http://www.icdevgroup.org/xmldocs/ ).

PDF docs will be available within a week or two.

For the material missing from icdevgroup.org docs, see
http://interchange.rtfm.info.

For a production store, you could use the Demo and you could also do
without it. Personally, I'd write my own catalog (which uses a lot of
CSS and everything) and try to solve as much problems as possible with
clever design rather than coding. (And, of course, for the parts that
you do have to code - you could borrow "know how" or even actual
code from the Demo).

Also make sure that you start with Interchange 5.5.1, and not earlier
versions.

And as usual, post questions to interchange-users.

Regards,
Davor Ocelic
ICDEVGROUP