[ic] Debian an Interchange

docelic docelic at deleuze.hcoop.net
Mon Sep 10 14:04:13 EDT 2007

On Mon, Sep 10, 2007 at 05:47:33PM +0000, hudsondarnell40 at comcast.net wrote:
> I have a question does Debian install threaded perl by default
> I am having a big issue from changing from thread perl to non theard perl
> The modules don't work I try to reinstall non thread modules but no go.
>
> I find that is a big issue with Interchange and the whole threaded perl thing.

Yes, it's annoying. Or, rather, it was.

If you've got perl 5.8.8 you can just use that. Supposedly it'll work
slower but if this is not a production system, there's nothing you have
to worry about.

And later if you get to some setup where you definitely want
non-threaded perl on debian, you can compile perl + modules manually,
no problem. Since the modules already exists as debian packages, you can
simply run "apt-get build-dep lib<module_name>-perl" to install dependencies
for some module, and then you can build as usual with

  perl -MCPAN -e 'install "Module::Name"'

-doc