[ic] Order routing stalled (PaypalExpress)

Craig Burton craig at ttmab.co.uk
Sun Apr 13 20:19:30 UTC 2008

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 11:10:55AM +0100, Lyn St George wrote:
> On Friday 11 April 2008 09:26:55 Craig Burton wrote:
> > get token from Paypal
> > redirect user to Paypal page, with token
> > Paypal sorts payment with user and calls back Interchange
> > Interchange calls Paypal to get user details, confirms payment and
> > redirects user to "thanks v much" page
>
> However, Paypal/Ebay have an horrendous reputation for jumping on people with
> little or no excuse, and what you are doing here is giving them a very good
> excuse to jump on you. The Express checkout flow is documented as needing to
> flow the way I  built it, ie the customer returns to your site and then makes
> final payment by clicking. This also lets you update shipping and taxes by
> the way.
>
> > thanks, Craig
>
> Lyn St George

Thanks for the advice Lyn. I did the amalgamation of the latter stages following a read through of the documentation from Paypal - they did seem to be advocating this as a valid route, including the ability to add useraction=commit as a query variable to the API call to change the wording on the check out button to 'Pay now' or suchlike. Having said that, I take your point - and in this case the client is using Paypal as the sole payment method, so keeping Paypal happy is a necessary.

I'll go for a vanilla version of your module's process for now and see how that progresses.

Cheers, Craig