[ic] express checkout problems (bug?)

Rick Bragg lists at gmnet.net
Thu Apr 17 20:19:50 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-04-17 at 12:51 -0500, Steve Graham wrote:
> At 11:34 AM 4/17/2008, you wrote:
> >It seems that the express checkout option is a bit buggy.  I am using
> >some custom shipping methods that are based on country and state tables
> >and some of the methods do live UPS lookups...  However, I have a
> >"default" method as follows:
> >

> I just disabled it, in IC 5.4. The only quick fix I can think of
> might be to only allow express checkout only if the customer has
> logged in, and you already know they have shipping and billing information.
>
> Steve

That's a great idea, however it still has some problems, if they need to
change their shipping address for example, then they still have to
"recalculate" 2 times!

Maybe the "express" checkout page should not have the forms at all but
just a confirmation only.  If they need to change anything, it should
bounce to the pages with forms and go the multi-page checkout.

Another thought is to rebuild the express checkout to use javascript
(since it does anyway with the country and state select) and make it so
it sets the shipping method on the fly as they select country/state or
touch the zip, etc...

Any thoughts?