[ic] Large file uploads failing

Mike Heins mike at perusion.com
Wed Aug 13 15:23:33 UTC 2008

Quoting Mike Heins (mike at perusion.com):
> Quoting jimbo (jimbo at soundimages.co.uk):
> > Mike Heins wrote:
> >
> > > What version of IC?
> >
> > ~/interchange/bin/interchange -v
> > Interchange version 5.6.0 copyright 2002-2008 Interchange Development
> > Group and others.
> >
> > > I just discovered someone decided to parse the data with Vend::Charset
> > > in 5.6. If you have a file content-type of text, this is probably
> > > the reason.
> >
> > I've specified the Content-Type header for the upload as
> > 'application/octet-stream'.
> >
> > > Hey Charset guys, what happened to disabling that darn thing?
> >
> > Is this an obvious thing to remedy? Is Vend::CharSet something I can
> > replace, at least temporarily, without affecting IC overall?
> >

> I am actually looking at this right now.
>
> I think the basic problem is that we are slinging your 50MB of
> data around like it is hash and eggs. I am testing a modified
> Server.pm / Data.pm / Interpolate.pm set which should be much
> more efficient. I am trying a 50MB file right now -- I did run
> into an Apache Timeout value of 120, but have set that to 600.

I was able to get a 46MB file to upload OK. Do you have any
sort of upper limit?

With regard to methods, I like three:

    * passing a file name to copy or rsync
    * passing a URL to fetch

In order for us to make this *much* more efficient, we would
need to change the way we handle POSTed content and form
parsing. It probably is a good idea, anyway, but it won't happen
overnight.

--
Mike Heins

Find the grain of truth in criticism, chew it, and swallow
it. -- anonymous