[ic] Interchange server runs only in debug mode - MV_GETPPID_BROKEN broken?

Richard Siddall richard.siddall at elirion.net
Wed Aug 13 16:58:16 UTC 2008

Just a quick note to say that I'm running Interchange 5.6.0, installed
from RPM, on CentOS 5 on a virtualization system and finally found out
why the server wouldn't do anything useful unless it was started in
debug mode.

The symptoms were:
1/ Interchange server is marked as sleeping in ps.
2/ netstat -anp indicates the server is not listening on either a UNIX
or a TCP socket.
3/ Last message on stdout or in the error_log is "Running with old signals."

After tracking down the problem to the server hanging in
lib/Vend/Server.pm where it calls &$ppidsub, I decided to try setting
Variable MV_GETPPID_BROKEN to 0; it is 1 in the default interchange.cfg.
  I had been assuming I had to leave it at 1 as I'm using the system's
threaded Perl.

The new setting seems to fix that problem.  The server now listens on a
UNIX socket and the standard demo store is served correctly (AFAICT).

IIRC, the demo store was not served correctly under debug mode with the
original setting for MV_GETPPID_BROKEN.

Regards,

	Richard Siddall