[ic] We're sorry, the Interchange server is unavailable

Davor Ocelic docelic at spinlocksolutions.com
Fri Aug 15 21:14:09 UTC 2008

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 21:57:48 +0100
"Michael J. Curtis" <michael.curtis at glcweb.co.uk> wrote:

> Michael J. Curtis wrote:
> >> The index page in html space shows but when clicking on the catalog
> >> link on the page, eventually the above error shows
> >>
> >> All permissions look good When creating the catalog then UNIX
> >> sockets are used cgi-dir = /usr/apache2/cgi-bin and using the
> >> default instance of 'available-servers' When starting Interchange
> >> the database is created and Interchange process runs according to
> >> ps -ax
>
> >>Is the interchange server listening on a UNIX socket?  (Run
> >>"netstat-anp" and look for interchange.)
>
> No results from netstat -anp referencing interchange

So the server is not listening on the Unix socket, or is not started
at all.

When it's working, here's an example of what you should get:

netstat  -anp | grep interc
unix  2      [ ACC ]     STREAM     LISTENING     425332   2366/interchange    /home/at/interchange/etc/socket.ipc
unix  2      [ ACC ]     STREAM     LISTENING     425334   2366/interchange    /home/at/interchange/etc/socket
unix  2      [ ]         STREAM     CONNECTED     425362   2366/interchange    /home/at/interchange/etc/socket.ipc
unix  2      [ ]         STREAM     CONNECTED     425340   2372/interchange    /home/at/interchange/etc/socket.ipc

So, if the command "ps aux | grep [i]nterc" is not empty and
returns results (which you wrote that it does), then you have
some leftover, non functional process.

Kill it with "pkill interchange", and restart Interchange, where
you should see a message like this:

Interchange server started in UNIX mode(s) (process id 2366)

Then re-run the netstat test and verify the sockets are open
like shown.

> This is what I get from my Fedora install in interchange/etc dir
> -rw-------  1 interch interch   38 2008-08-15 07:59 mode.unix
> srw-------  1 interch interch    0 2008-08-15 07:59 socket
> srwx------  1 interch interch    0 2008-08-15 07:59 socket.ipc

Those files don't mean much because you don't see whether
something's listening on the sockets or not. You can remove
those files and see if they get re-created (which they should)
as a way of testing the problem.

-doc