[ic] Renaming catalog.cfg - Managing multiple catalogs

Ron Phipps ron at endpoint.com
Fri Dec 19 22:29:54 UTC 2008

Marty Tennison wrote:
> Hi Group,
>
> I'm working on a strategy for managing multiple catalogs that share a
> large amount of data and/or files.   To do this, I'm trying to come up
> with a file structure and configuration layout that uses shared files
> and directories.  The problem I'm running into is how to startup a
> catalog, which is using a shared instance of catalog.cfg and somehow
> know what catalog is being started so that I can read only the target
> catalogs configuration files.  I'm trying to use a shared catalog
> directory for all catalogs and then define specific directories per
> catalog for just the catalog specific stuff. Does this make sense?
>
> My thought was to use
>
>     Catalog standard directive  Variable  STORE_ID  standard
>
> in the interchange.cfg file and then use...
>
> Database __STORE_ID__variables.txt TAB
> VariableDatabase __STORE_ID__variables
>
> in the catalog.cfg file, but that did not work.  (and I'm not sure why)
>
> So then I thought I'd look for a way to specify the name of catalog.cfg,
> but it looks like that may be hard coded.
>
> So, I'm kinda stuck.    Is there a more graceful way to accomplish this?
>
> Any help is much appreciated.
>
> TIA

Hi Marty,

I've done this before for a client where the admin was separated from
the main catalog, but they needed to share some configuration
information.  This was done with this layout:

catalogs/
	stores/
		shared_config -> ../shared_config
	admin/
		shared_config -> ../shared_config
	shared_config/
		shared_catalog.cfg
		dbconf/

Then in each stores catalog.cfg we do:

include shared_config/shared_catalog.cfg
include shared_config/dbconf/*.cfg

Common config information goes in shared_config/shared_catalog.cfg,
catalog specific goes in catalog.cfg for the catalog in question.

So this implementation is a bit different then yours.  We configured
each catalog with it's own catalog.cfg, but it goes and looks at the
shared_config to get the shared information.

--
Ron Phipps
End Point Corporation
ron at endpoint.com