[ic] SocketReadTimeout question

John1 list_subscriber at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Feb 5 17:04:02 EST 2008

On Tuesday, February 05, 2008 8:11 PM Grant wrote:

> Does anyone have any more info on why SocketReadTimeout came into
> being?  Is it designed to solve some broken pipe problems?

Yes, we noticed that the callback POST request from the banking systems' 3D
secure authentication pages (credit card Verified by Visa and Mastercard
Securecode authentication pages), was resulting in an Internal Server Error
for some users.

After much head scratching a correlation with dial-up users and those behind
web proxy servers was noted.  This lead to the discovery that 1 second (the
default timeout) was never sufficient time for some dial-up connections.
This included dial-up users from the following ISPs (though not exclusively,
and possibly not all users):  Orange, Wanadoo, Freeserve, NTL dialup, and
AOL.

The problem was replicated using an Orange dial-up connection, and upping
the time limit to 5 seconds was found to be sufficient to solve the problem.

The problem appeared to be caused by an apparent time lapse in excess of 4
seconds between the arrival of the POST request header and the eventual
arrival of the POST request body.

Apache error log entry:
[Fri Jan 25 14:15:20 2008] [error] (32)Broken pipe: access to the_page.html
failed for xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, reason: error writing client block to
Interchange

Interchange global error log entry:
- - - [25/January/2008:14:15:19 +0000] - - Died in server spawn: read:
closed at /opt/interchange/lib/Vend/Server.pm line 657.

We have decided to run with a SocketReadTimeout of 10 seconds.