[ic] Set variable to query result at start-up?

Jeff Boes jeff at endpoint.com
Thu Feb 14 13:00:19 EST 2008

I'm curious if anyone's done this before, and if there are any clever or
canned approaches:

I would like to initialize an Interchange variable to the result of a
SQL query, at IC startup (because the query could be a bit costly to run
per page or even per session). Specifically, I want to set:

UI_DATE_BEGIN

to the first year represented by transactions.order_date, e.g.,

select min(to_date(order_date,'YYYY')) from transactions;

The only approach I've thought up (which I haven't tried yet) would be
to define a module with a BEGIN block[1], and "Require" it in the
interchange.cfg or catalog.cfg. Are there other approaches?

[1] I'm not entirely sure this would run at the appropriate point, i.e.,
after the database connection is established.

--
Jeffery Boes  <><
jeff at endpoint.com