[ic] No folder node images in product tree

Thomas Dukleth interchangeusers at agogme.com
Fri Feb 15 14:32:35 EST 2008

Reply inline

On Fri, February 15, 2008 3:20 am, Kevin Walsh wrote:

[...]

> Check that your DOCROOT variable is correct in your variable.txt file.
> It should be set to the full path to your Apache DocumentRoot directory.
> That directory should contain an "/images" directory, or whatever your
> ImageDir directive is set to.

[...]

Setting DOCROOT to /var/www/shops/standard , which seems to be correct for
my mostly generic defaults based standard catalog installation from Debian
packages seems not to be enough.  I am currently working with Debian
packages built from the 20080213 nightly snapshot.

Please overlook what may seem like a few misplaced bug report messages in
my reply.  I would like to determine if it is possible for me to work with
the Debian packages before trying a build from pure source even if I have
to purge, reinstall and adjust config files many more times.  If I
succeed, there should be some good information for people just starting to
work with Interchange from the Debian packages which could also be used to
improve the packages themselves.

The Debian configuration alone seems not to place a proper value in
DOCROOT and perhaps some other variables in variable.txt for the standard
catalog.  Maybe enough information was provided in Debian configuration
and the script had a bug.  I naively assumed that the
interchange-cat-standard Debian package had a sufficiently complete
installation process except for a previously discovered issue about not
setting ownership of a few configuration files to the interchange user.

[Unfortunately, Interchange documentation is a little incomplete even when
checking both the old and new documentation.  Some variable names also
seemed to have changed since the old documentation but not been newly
documented.

Lack of good complete documentation is of course nothing surprising in
free software projects.  Interchange does much much better than most
projects for documentation.  However, Interchange would go less far than
other projects with the claim that documentation is not needed because of
obviousness in a simple interface.  Certainly, the more there is to
document in a large project such as Interchange the more there is that may
risk going undocumented.  I know that creating documentation is not as
much fun as developing a new undocumented feature.]

On the #interchange IRC channel, racke helped me to identify some perhaps
problematically unpopulated variables variables.

$ cat variable.txt | grep MVC

CGIWRAP	__MVC_CGIWRAP__	Admin Control
CGI_DIR	__MVC_CGIDIR__	Admin Control
CGI_URL	__MVC_CGIURL__	Directories and Paths
COMPANY	__MVC_COMPANY__	Company
DOCROOT	__MVC_DOCUMENTROOT__	Directories and Paths
EMAIL_INFO	__MVC_MAILORDERTO__	Company
EMAIL_SERVICE	__MVC_MAILORDERTO__	Company
FORUM_EMAIL_NOTIFY	__MVC_MAILORDERTO__	Forums
IC_DIR	__MVC_VENDROOT__	Admin Control
IMAGE_DIR	__MVC_IMAGEURL__	Directories and Paths
LINKMODE	__MVC_LINKMODE__	Admin Control
LINKHOST	__MVC_LINKHOST__	Admin Control
LINKPORT	__MVC_LINKPORT__	Admin Control
LOCALES	__MVC_LOCALES__	Internationalization
MAILING_FROM	__MVC_COMPANY__ <__MVC_MAILORDERTO__>	Mailings
MV_DEMO_MODE	__MVC_DEMOMODE__	General
MYSQL	__MVC_MYSQL__	Database
ORDERS_TO	__MVC_MAILORDERTO__	Order
PGSQL	__MVC_PGSQL__	Database
SAMPLEHTML	__MVC_SAMPLEHTML__	Directories and Paths
SAMPLEURL	__MVC_SAMPLEURL__	Directories and Paths
SECURE_SERVER	http://__MVC_SERVERNAME__	Directories and Paths
SERVER_NAME	__MVC_SERVERNAME__	Directories and Paths
SQLDSN	__MVC_SQLDSN__	Database
SQLPASS	__MVC_SQLPASS__	Database
SQLUSER	__MVC_SQLUSER__	Database
UI_IMAGE_DIR	__MVC_SHAREURL__/interchange-5/	Admin Control
UI_IMAGE_DIR_SECURE	__MVC_SHAREURL__/interchange-5/	Admin Control

Perhaps some additional values needed to be configured in   makecat.cfg
before installing the Debian package interchange-cat-standard so that
interchange-cat-standard would install correctly.  I note that some
individual catalog values are empty for the standard catalog but the
standard catalogue is working well enough for me to suppose that
configuring a value in the base configuration is sufficient in some cases.
 A line for an individual catalog in the form of variable= where no value
is given does not seem to have necessarily unset the base value but I
suppose that one should not rely upon that behaviour.

[catalog standard]
basedir=
catroot=/var/lib/interchange/catalogs/standard
catuser=
cgibase=
cgibin=
cgidir=/usr/lib/cgi-bin/ic