[ic] Cluster / IP question

Jonathan Clark jonc at webmaint.com
Mon Jan 21 11:53:32 EST 2008

> I'm looking into clustering for my IC stores. Once of the HA software
> packages that I'm considering has what may be a very serious
> drawback:
> all requests sent to the clustered servers lack the visitor's
> original
> IP address. Instead all requests come in using the IP of the box that
> runs the HA server.
>
> Since IC uses the visitors IP for the session ID among other
> things, it
> seems like this might be a bad idea. Does anyone have thoughts or
> suggestions?

It sounds like their system is balancing at a high level (like http
traffic), rather than the raw IP data. This might have the advantage of
being able to inspect URLs and route accordingly, but a lack of IP will
cause you problems with sessions.

If you want a commercial, supported version of this you could look at
http://www.sentralsystems.com/load.html (UK) which includes a HA pair
running heartbeat. Certainly their systems present as the correct IP.

In any case, a properly configured system running ldirectord should be able
to do the job for you.

Best wishes,

Jonathan

--