[ic] Interchange 5.6.0 and Threaded Perl Support

Jon Jensen jon at endpoint.com
Thu Jul 3 00:05:25 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2 Jul 2008, Gary Norton wrote:

> On the Interchange 5.6 release thread it mentions there is now threaded
> Perl support. Are there any strings attached to this such as the 30%
> performance hit mentioned in the install docs (for Perl versions 5.8.5
> and later)?
>
> I am just curious if a Perl recompile is still needed with the latest
> version.

I haven't seen any performance benchmarks for the most recent (5.10.0)
Perl, comparing threaded vs. nonthreaded. Given that the last benchmarks
mentioned around here are quite dated, I think it'd be good to run your
own benchmarks. We mostly use unthreaded Perl because we build our own
Perl for unrelated reasons anyway, but without evidence I wouldn't say
it's necessarily better.

Jon

--
Jon Jensen