[ic] PostgreSQL 8.3

Jon Jensen jon at endpoint.com
Wed Jun 18 23:14:02 UTC 2008

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008, Rick Bragg wrote:

> ubuntu hardy, 64bit (dell 1900 - 2 quad core 64bit processors)

Ok. In one place I'm running Interchange 5.6.0 and Postgres 8.3 on the
exact same OS in 64-bit.

>> Are you connecting via UNIX or INET socket to Postgres?
>
> ummm, I'm not sure about how IC connects to Pg, but IC is in "low"
> traffic mode, and catalogs are connecting to IC via INET (tlink) mode.

The links aren't relevant yet, since you're not getting that far.

You can tell whether you're using UNIX or INET by your DSN. If it has a
host= argument, it's INET. Otherwise, UNIX.

>>> 2008-06-18 16:49:33 EDT LOG:  08P01: unexpected EOF on client connection
>>> 2008-06-18 16:49:33 EDT LOCATION:  SocketBackend, postgres.c:323
>>
>> Did the above Postgres log messages appear before or after you killed the
>> hanging Interchange?
>
> After it is killed. There is nothing in the log before I kill it.

Strange. My Ubuntu Postgres is listening on TCP port 5433, not the
Postgres default 5432, so my DSN looks like this:

dbi:Pg:dbname=standard;port=5433

Because there's no host= argument, the port= argument tells it the name of
the UNIX socket to use, e.g. /var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5433

Can you post your DSN?

What Perl are you using? The Ubuntu-supplied one, with the Ubuntu DBD::Pg
packages, or a custom Perl?

>> What does "grep log_ postgresql.conf" return? (That'll help to know what
>> *not* to expect in the log.)
> log_error_verbosity = verbose
> log_line_prefix = '%t '

Unless your postgresql.conf is very nonstandard, there should've been a
lot more than 2 lines returned from that grep.

You should also set these for more detailed logging:

log_connections = on
log_disconnections = on
log_duration = on
log_statement = all

> My responses are threaded above.  I hope this is OK, and not considered
> "top posting"

Nope, that's exactly what is *not* top posting, and makes it easy to
follow the conversation. Thanks!

Jon

--
Jon Jensen