[ic] Which perl version for new install?

Stefan Hornburg (Racke) racke at linuxia.de
Tue Mar 4 14:03:09 EST 2008

Davor Ocelic wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 04, 2008 at 01:00:21PM -0500, DB wrote:
>> I'm setting up a new server with a fresh install of Centos 5.1. I plan
>> to leave the default perl (5.8.8) in place and to compile a separate,
>> non-threaded perl for IC to use.
>>
>> Should I use the latest perl for running IC (currently 5.10.0), or is
>> there some reason to stick with 5.8.8
>
> IIRC 5.10.0 is a development release, and last time I just
> tried it, Interchange did not work with it. (I don't remember
> the details).
>
> So the latest stable (5.8.8) is recommended.

5.10.0 isn't a development release as the even number in the second
place denotes. However, perl.com states that:

"The maintenance version of Perl is 5.8.8.
This is a stable, tested release that you should use in production environments."

So 5.8.8 is recommended.

FYI: Some patches for 5.10.0 have been applied to Interchange's development branch.

Regards
          Racke

Interchange Development Team