[ic] Sending mail from perl block and Net::SMTP

Ton Verhagen catch-all at alamerce.nl
Wed Sep 17 11:26:42 UTC 2008

Hi,

When using Net::SMTP as the SendmailProgram it is not possible to
reliably send email from a Perl code block using the email tag.

Errors showing up frequently in error.log:

...Safe: 'require' trapped by operation mask  at ... Select.pm line 9.
Compilation failed in require at ...IO/socket.pm line 116.

We'd rather not fiddle with SafeUntrap(ping) the require.

Would there be any good solution to make it possible to use Net::SMTP
and be able to send email from a Perl code block?
Anyone of you encountered this problem?

Anyone keeping in touch with their customers by sending personalized
newsletters (plain text and html) etc?
If so, what would be the maximum  number of customers that could be
contacted? I am asking because we tried
sending a personalized email/newsletter to our customer base (Sendmail
as the SendmailProgram) and the
system stopped after 1000+ emails. We need to get in touch with tens
of thousands of clients.
Just to be absolute clear: NO this is not spam!

Any good solutions?

Many thanks,

Ton