[ic] Cascading Shipping Costs

Justin Otten JustinO at fragrancenet.com
Tue Sep 23 14:24:00 UTC 2008

Hi All,

I'm running a patched-every-which-way version 5.2 IC install.
Is there anyway to cascade shipping costs?

Here is a basic scenario of what I'm trying to accomplish:

Customer purchases 1 item weighing 2 pounds. Chooses to ship via DHL to
India (made up scenario).
  1) What does India require us to pay in hazmat fees?
  2) What does DHL charge for shipping 2 pounds of material?
  3) What does DHL charge for the size of box we need to ship the item
in?

Can shipping.asc accomplish this?

Here is what I started to build:

DHL: Standard Shipping
	criteria	[hazmat]
	min		0
	max		0
	cost		0
	next		DHL2

	min		1
	max		1
	cost		2.99
	next		DHL2

DHL2: Standard Shipping
	criteria	weight
	min		0
	max		0
	cost		e Nothing to ship!

	min		1
	max		5
	cost		4.99
	next		DHL3

		(etc...)

DHL3: Standard Shipping
	criteria	[box-size]
	min		0
	max		0
	cost		e Does not fit in any box

	min		1
	max		1
	cost		.50

	min		2
	max		2
	cost		.75

		(etc...)

So what I see as happening is this:
	1) Checks hazmat (lets say India requires hazmat), criteria
returns 1, shipping cost is $2.99
	2) Checks weight, within 1-5 range, shipping cost is now $7.98
(hazmat cost + weight cost)
	3) Checks box size, criteria returns 1, shipping cost is now
$8.48 (hazmat cost + weight cost + box cost)

Now, I know this doesn't work. The "next" field doesn't work unless the
criteria returned a zero.
I see reference to "adder", but I can find no documentation for it and
every time I see it, it is in context with UPS shipping methods.

Is there any way to accomplish this set of tasks using a different set
of shipping rules? Am I completely glossing over something obvious? Or
do I need to roll my own shipping functions?

Hopefully I was able to convey what I am trying to do.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Regards,
Justin Otten
FragranceNet.com
justino at fragrancenet.com <mailto:justino at fragrancenet.com>
ph: 631-582-5204 ext 812
fax: 631-582-8433

FragranceNet.com
Online Since 1997, Over 8,000 Genuine Brand Name
Fragrances, Skincare, Haircare, Candles, Aromatherapy & more...