[ic] Email and &and profile check

Mike Heins mike at perusion.com
Thu Sep 25 15:02:29 UTC 2008

Quoting Stefan Hornburg (Racke) (racke at linuxia.de):
> Hello,
>
> the &and is kind of counterintuitive when it comes to check the same variable multiple times:
>
> email=email_only Please enter a valid email address.
> &and
> email=match email_verify Emails you entered do not match.
> &and
> email=unique userdb:email Unfortunately, an account with this email address already exists.
>
> So if fail to enter an email address at all, I see all three error messages at once.
>
> Isn't that confusing?

No more confusing to me than to have to enter my email address twice. 8-)
Personally, I just clip it out of one box and paste it in the other,
defeating the purpose.

If we can determine the bounds of the entire expression, and can determine
if it is an &and, then we probably should not perform tests 2 and 3. I am
not sure that state machine is sophisticated enough to do that, but it
is in the check_order routine of Vend::Order, or more precisely &chain_checks.

I can see right now the problem is that we have no real way to bound
the expression. So probably for right now, there is no solution short
of enhancing the error tag to allow display of only the first error.

--
Mike Heins
phone +1.765.328.4479  tollfree 800-949-1889 <mike at perusion.com>

My wife is great.  She doesn't care where I go, just as long as I don't
have any fun.  -- Lee Trevino