[ic] Character encodings and FCK editor

Rick Bragg lists at gmnet.net
Wed Aug 5 17:48:46 UTC 2009

Hi List;

I am having lots of trouble with this and I hope someone can please help
me through this, point me in the write direction, or talk me down from
the leadge!

I am wondering if there is a "best practice" or examples for using the
FCK editor for editing and saving content but not in the admin area.  I
have a field in a database called "content" and I want it to be editable
by affiliates via the FCK editor.  Again, this is NOT in the admin area,
but in the catalog itself.  The problem I am having is that when they
paste certain things from a pdf or word file (they have to be able to do
this!) things look fine in the editor, but when they save it, things
sometimes get encoded in strange ways.  I have FCK configured to paste
as plain text only! (no strait paste, or paste from word is enabled).  I
have been writing strange filters to try to catch them, but this seems
the totally wrong way to go.  Does anybody have a sample of a form that
calls up data, sticks it into FCK, then when submitted, saves back to
the table in such a way that strange characters don't get introduced?
It does not seem to be a browser issue at all.

Thanks!
Rick

believed to be clean.