[ic] Github-question

Rene interchange at hertell.com
Wed Dec 2 11:13:02 UTC 2009

Jon Jensen wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Jun 2009, Rene wrote:
>> I have been playing around with github, and i looks like a great tool. I
>> created a fork where i created a small patch that got slightly
>> modificated into the master repository. Now i wonder what should i do to
>> merge any new patches made to the master into my fork? Is it via the
>> Fork Queue that this should be done? For example the final patch that
>> was made into the master has a "Will likely not apply cleanly" status,
>> so apparently this is not the right place to suck in the patch from the
>> master...
>> I assume this is easy to do, but i just cant's seem to find the right
>> way doing it...
> The GitHub web interface is just that: primarily a viewing interface. But
> for all serious work with the repository you do it with the git tools as
> you would with any other repository.
> The easiest thing for you to do is destroy the commit you made that went
> into upstream differently:
> git reset --hard HEAD^
> Then pull down changes from mainstream. Assuming your git remote for the
> central repository is called "icdevgroup":
> git pull icdevgroup master
> Then if that worked without error, you push to your github remote and
> you're current.
> Does that make sense? If you get stuck, please send the output of "git
> remote" and "git branch -a" so we can refer to your actual names of
> things.

Hi Jon!

I reply to this thread, so that if someone else has similar troubles,
he'll find it in the same thread..

It's now a couple of months since i sychronized my github-fork with the
icdevgroup-master on github. Sometime after this sync i created this patch
and it was committed into the main tree:

Now i followed this guide

I end up with the following conflict-error:
$ git pull icdevgroup master
 From git://github.com/interchange/interchange
  * branch            master     -> FETCH_HEAD
Auto-merged Makefile.PL
Auto-merged WHATSNEW-5.7
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in WHATSNEW-5.7
Removed dist/standard/dbconf/sqlite/2ndDayAir.dbm
Removed dist/standard/dbconf/sqlite/Ground.dbm
Removed dist/standard/dbconf/sqlite/NextDayAir.dbm
Removed dist/standard/dbconf/sqlite/area.lite
Removed dist/standard/dbconf/sqlite/cat.lite
Removed dist/standard/dbconf/sqlite/gift_certs.lite
Auto-merged lib/Vend/Dispatch.pm
Auto-merged lib/Vend/Order.pm
Auto-merged lib/Vend/Payment/BusinessOnlinePayment.pm
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in
Auto-merged lib/Vend/Payment/PaypalExpress.pm
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lib/Vend/Payment/PaypalExpress.pm
Automatic merge failed; fix conflicts and then commit the result.

And continuing the steps in the guide results this..
$ git fetch icdevgroup
$ git merge icdevgroup/master
fatal: You are in the middle of a conflicted merge.

This is what git remote returns:
$ git remote

and git branch -a

$ git branch -a
* master

I'm sure this is again something easy fix, but the helps and tips around
the net did not help at all.. Most likely i succeeded to mess things up
even better ;-)