[ic] Softgood Downloads

Paul Jordan paul at gishnetwork.com
Tue Feb 24 00:22:19 UTC 2009

From: "Rick Bragg" <lists at gmnet.net>
Sent: Monday, February 23, 2009 3:57 PM
To: <interchange-users at icdevgroup.org>
Subject: Re: [ic] Softgood Downloads

> On Mon, 2009-02-09 at 08:24 -0800, Paul Jordan wrote:

I don't know about streaming but for downloading it's great. It doesn't use
IC to serve the download, but let's Apache do it - as it should.

http://www.icdevgroup.org/pipermail/interchange-users/2002-March/018462.html

The tag is really for creating a way to make short lived random symlinks to
the goods that are in a protected directory. So, you can say it is really
delivery centric. What it delivers is up to you to make happen.  I had an
email system that used this to create the delivery, but I had to on my own -
upon request - find (read SQL) relevant email attachments, zip them all up,
create the new zip file THEN tap on enable-downloads to create the Apache
only secure delivery. In the end, it was two or three tags used in
conjunction to make it all happen.

Also, when I say "secure" I mean that you don't need to put the files in a
public directory, and the links used to download are as random as you need
them to be I.e., 8 characters? 20 characters? Then, you determine how long
you want to let those symlinks sexist via a cron - or whatever.

I think Mike made the tag for me actually - that post I link to is one of
the ways I used it at the time. I've used it many ways since.

If softgoods are popular, I am sure I can probably write up something and
get my tags together for everyone. But it would have to be in a couple weeks
as I am pretty busy right now. That said if you wanted to sleuth it out
yourself, I can get the tags I made/used to do all the tricks - any time.
I'm pretty sure the email one reads the files from a table (the files are
written to a table) - so not sure how much use it would be to you.

HTH

Paul Jordan
  Gish Network
  For Print, Web, and Life