[ic] Github-question

Jon Jensen jon at endpoint.com
Mon Jun 8 17:20:53 UTC 2009

On Sun, 7 Jun 2009, Rene wrote:

> I have been playing around with github, and i looks like a great tool. I
> created a fork where i created a small patch that got slightly
> modificated into the master repository. Now i wonder what should i do to
> merge any new patches made to the master into my fork? Is it via the
> Fork Queue that this should be done? For example the final patch that
> was made into the master has a "Will likely not apply cleanly" status,
> so apparently this is not the right place to suck in the patch from the
> master...
>
> I assume this is easy to do, but i just cant's seem to find the right
> way doing it...

The GitHub web interface is just that: primarily a viewing interface. But
for all serious work with the repository you do it with the git tools as
you would with any other repository.

The easiest thing for you to do is destroy the commit you made that went
into upstream differently:

git reset --hard HEAD^

Then pull down changes from mainstream. Assuming your git remote for the
central repository is called "icdevgroup":

git pull icdevgroup master

Then if that worked without error, you push to your github remote and
you're current.

Does that make sense? If you get stuck, please send the output of "git
remote" and "git branch -a" so we can refer to your actual names of
things.

Thanks,
Jon

--