[ic] CPU upgrade for IC server?

Rick Bragg lists at gmnet.net
Wed Jun 17 04:00:09 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-06-17 at 06:55 +1000, Mark Lipscombe wrote:
> Jon Jensen wrote:
> > On Tue, 16 Jun 2009, Grant wrote:
> >
> >> I'm accumulating more and more jobs that I like to have run daily. They
> >> started out running in the middle of the night, but they're creeping
> >> over into real traffic hours.  Right now I've got a P4 single-core
> >> 2.8Ghz CPU and 1GB RAM.  Would a CPU upgrade be likely to execute the
> >> jobs more quickly?
> >
> > Only if they're very CPU-intensive, which many jobs aren't.
>
> I'd also be inclined to look at the jobs themselves.  Are they doing
> what they need to do in the most efficient way?
>
> You might consider optimizing the jobs themselves, either before or as
> part of throwing more hardware at the problem.
>
> Regards,
> Mark

Tossing in new hardware is tempting, but I agree;  try to optimize the
jobs first, then when you get new hardware, it will be even faster!  Run
the "top" command and see what is going on.  My wild guess is that you
are memory bound,  1G Ram these days is very little memory.  I would max
that out first if it is memory bound.

rick

believed to be clean.