[ic] Require should mean require

Jon Jensen jon at endpoint.com
Thu Jun 25 14:02:03 UTC 2009

Folks,

I don't believe I knew before that the "Require" global directive doesn't
actually raise a fatal error if the required module doesn't exist or fails
to load. Yet that is the case.

To me this seems inconsistent, since the "Require" catalog directive is
fatal for that catalog if there's an error.

I propose changing this, so that any missing modules will cause
Interchange to fail to start rather than causing only a warning which
isn't even seen on unattended restarts such as at reboot.

This patch changes the behavior strictly for Require module:

http://github.com/jonjensen/interchange/commit/7e3974960594da194b8f585e3e761322ef8df72f

But I would like to discuss making all the Require types die on failure,
rather than just being warnings. It saves a lot of frustration to have
Interchange scream loudly when there's a problem instead of finding out
about it only later when things start to fail mysteriously.

Please comment if you object to such a change.

Thanks,
Jon

--
Jon Jensen