[ic] Call for testers

Stefan Hornburg (Racke) racke at linuxia.de
Thu Mar 12 08:30:12 UTC 2009

David Christensen wrote:
>>> Greetings interchange enthusiasts!
>>>
>>> As we all know, UTF-8 support in interchange has been a bit of a
>>> mixed
>>> bag.  We aim to rectify this issue by identifying and fixing these
>>> issues, but we need people who are willing to test the latest and
>>> greatest versions of the fixes.  I have set up a specific github
>>> repository to track the changes (http://github.com/machack666/interchange-utf8/tree/utf8
>>> ).  ***Please note that this code is considered *experimental* and
>>> should *not* be run on a production system at this point.***
>>> Nevertheless, if you have some spare hardware or spare cycles, or
>>> have
>>> a copy of your site that you can easily set up in a testing
>>> environment, we need your help.
>> I tried hard to found a case where it barfs :-).
>>
>> 1. Autoload calls local $Tag->form();
>> 2. $Tag->form() calls $Tag->run_profile();
>> 3. Profile has embedded Perl code with
>>    Log("CGI: " . uneval($CGI));
>> 4. Safe: 'require' trapped by operation mask at
>> /usr/lib/interchange/Vend/Util.pm line 656.
>

> Stefan,
>
> I have pushed a patch which creates Vend::Safe, a trivial wrapper
> around Safe which initializes all compartments at creation time.

Great idea!

> believe this will fix this issue.  Can you pull and report back?

I pulled and will test later :-).

 > This
> is the first time I've added a module to core, so I had to `make
> clean` and then `perl Makefile.PL` before it would install in my local
> interchange instance.  Is this usual?

Hm, I don't know. I just run a Debian build & install each time.

One thing which also annoys me is the internal server error caused by
non UTF-8 characters:

127.0.1.1 ZobI6Yf4:127.0.1.1 - [12/March/2009:09:24:20 +0100] ulisses
/cgi-bin/ic/ulisses/index Runtime error: Malformed UTF-8 character (fatal)
at /usr/lib/interchange/Vend/Parser.pm line 112.

Otherwise I see a huge improvement and hope this gets into CVS really soon.

Thanks
	Racke

Interchange Development Team