[ic] Is 5.7.1 development release running stable?

Jon Jensen jon at endpoint.com
Tue Mar 31 16:48:35 UTC 2009

On Tue, 31 Mar 2009, Grant wrote:

> Does anyone know if 5.6 or 5.7 have functionality to allow multiple IC
> pages to be executed simultaneously by the same session?  An executing
> page in the UI prevents further work from being done until it has
> finished executing.

Interchange does not currently have the ability for a session to be shared
by two simultaneous requests. (For good technical reasons.)

There are a few ways you can achieve something like this, though:

(1) Make one of the requests look like a robot so that it won't use a
session at all (if you're doing something read-only that doesn't require
authentication -- thus probably not really needing a session).

(2) Hack the core to implement the idea of a "read-only" session. I've
done this in some experiments that never went into production, but it
works well on pages designed for it. The basic idea is that a certain page
request reads the session but immediately closes it, so that any changes
to the session made on the page are lost.

(3) A corollary to both (1) and (2) is that you can keep certain crucial
data in cookies, so that you don't need a session for certain pages.

(4) Finally, you could be a little crazy and hack the core to not lock
sessions but blithely blow away session changes made in the first request
when the second writes out its session. Not recommended, but possible.

Jon

--
Jon Jensen
End Point Corporation