[ic] Attempting to upgrade Interchange -- showstopper problem.

Adam Lambert tech at khouse.org
Fri Sep 18 20:15:00 UTC 2009

I freely state up front, I'm pretty useless with perl, and I don't know
all that much about Interchange.

System pirticulars: CentOS.   /usr/local/bin/perl is the non-threaded
perl installed just for Interchange (been there in production use for a
while; not new).  /usr/bin/perl is the default install of perl from the
OS (it's threaded).

I do (per the instructions):

/usr/local/bin/perl Makefile.PL
make test
make install

All looks good through that part, see flashes of "/usr/local/bin/perl"
as the make races through.  But....  all resulting files (for instance:
/usr/local/bin/interchange) get "#!/usr/bin/perl" instead of

grep -i '/perl' Makefile indicates that the /usr/local/$PERLSTUFF is
listed everywhere, and no mention of the "/usr/bin/$PERLSTUFF" is anywhere.

make test fails (as the UPGRADE document suggests it might, and exhorts
to ignore errors) saying it can't use a threaded perl.

Did I do something wrong?   Is this a known problem?   So what do I do
now -- spend the time to grep out all the incorrect paths in the
installed Interchange tree and replace them with the correct ones?

Please help, and thanks in advance!