[ic] New Credit card rules

Grant emailgrant at gmail.com
Sun Apr 11 18:51:14 UTC 2010

> Anyone see this yet:

I got the email too.

[snip]

> + Balance response transactions - For prepaid and gift cards,
> once the card has been used, the remaining account balance will be
> transmitted along with the authorization response. The remaining balance
> must be printed on the customer receipt, displayed on the Web page or
> point-of-sale terminal, or both.

I don't provide a live success/fail response to the customer.  I know
many other large merchants work the same way, newegg.com for example.
Does this mean I have to provide a live success/fail response?

> + Partial authorization transactions - When a customer's transaction amount
> exceeds the balance available on their debit, prepaid or gift card, instead
> of declining the transaction, a partial authorization for the amount
> available to the customer will be returned. This will allow the customer to
> pay for the remaining amount with another form of payment. This is called a
> split-tender transaction.

You gotta be kidding me.

> + Authorization reversals - An authorization reversal is a real-time
> transaction initiated when the customer decides that they do not want to
> proceed with the transaction, or if the merchant cannot complete the
> transaction for any reason. Authorization reversals free up the customer's
> available balance on their debit, prepaid or gift card.

Is this reversal initiated by the merchant at the customer's request,
or is it initiated by the customer?

[snip]

> Do I have to support the requirements?
> MasterCard and Discover are requiring all merchants to support the
> requirements with the exception of merchants that exclusively process
> transactions via batch uploads, mail order/telephone order (MOTO), or
> recurring payment transactions. Your Merchant Service Provider (MSP) is
> ultimately responsible for determining if the requirements apply to your
> business, so please contact them for assistance in determining if your
> company is exempt.

I want in on this exemption.  Maybe I should switch to batch uploads?

- Grant