[ic] Multiple fields for DescriptionField?

Rick Bragg lists at gmnet.net
Mon Dec 6 23:58:38 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-12-06 at 13:50 -0800, Thomas J.M. Burton wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm wondering if there's some way to assign multiple fields for the
> DescriptionField config directive. I have a catalog that uses various
> fields to assemble product descriptions and I'm looking into ways to
> make the code that does so more efficient.
>
> For example, rather than [item-description] returning the value of an
> item's description field, I'd want it to return the values of fields
> desc01, desc03 and desc04 separated by spaces.
>
> I've tried a simple test with an Autoload sub that changes the
> DescriptionField and tried a comma-separated set of two field names
> which didn't work.
>
> I suppose I could write a UserTag that would override [item-description]
> (or [PREFIX-description], I suppose), but would like to know if there
> may be a better way of accomplishing this.
>
> The catalog is running in IC 5.4.2 and uses a MySQL database. (Yes, I
> know I need to upgrade IC).
>
> Thanks,
> Tom

First; Upgrade right away.
Then, maybe a query tag, with something like

[query
   type=list
   sql=|
   SELECT desc01, desc03, desc04
   FROM products
   WHERE sku = ...
   LIMIT 0,1
   |]
[sql_list]
  [tmp description][sql-param desc01] [sql-param desc03] [sql-param
desc04][/tmp]
[/sql_list]
[/query]

Also consider containing this in a timed build, or caching this out in
some way for speed...

Rick